Sunday, October 12, 2014

5 Best Things To Do in the South of Bicol Region

After knowing the geographical location of the destinations you want to visit, next step would be listing down all the fun things you MUST do! Although it's nice to be spontaneous (cue in song: Que sera, sera), if you won't be coming back in the area on multiple occasions, might as well seize the opportunity. YOLO! =)
And since most of us travel for just a few days and the possibilities are endless, make sure you narrow down at least 5 must-do's you shouldn't miss for the world. The rest would be complementary. That way, in case unexpected turn of events happen, you'd still be able to say "Damn, that was a one hell of a trip!"
Enough introduction, I'll follow the order from my previous blog post. Albay, Sorsogon and Masbate. No bias!!
1. Take an ATV around Mt. Mayon in Albay
Image Source: misadventuresof3.com
This activity is for the adventurous, definitely not for the faint of heart. You can go in tandem (hi cutie couples!!) or go solo. For the first part, they'll give you instructions and some chika, then you go for some practice rounds to prepare you for the battle! Yes, battle! Take note: this is not some go-cart driving you take in amusement parks.

The whole trail will take you all around the beautiful Mayon. First stop is the Lava Wall, a 6km stretch of lava debris from the 2006 eruption. Literally a rocky road! 

Image Source: misadventuresof3.com


Then to the Mayon Gullies with small streams.

Image Source: mayonatvtour.com
Rides last from 45 minutes up to 4 hours, depending on what package will you avail. Whew, that 4 hours. Can you imagine how sore would your body be after that? Not unless you're really into extremes.

I know what's on your mind. How much does it cost? Of course, I'll tell you the rates.

Image Source: mayonatvtour.com
The cost also depends on the kind of ATV you will be using. With P699 being the cheapest, I think that's really worth it. Compare that to one round of zipline that usually starts at P500, one round that doesn't even last for 5 minutes. Just think of it as paying the gas of a high-powered vehicle for 45mins, the scenic views and the experience would be just the silver-linings. This one will definitely be on my list! It should be on yours too!

2. Whale Shark Interaction in Donsol, Sorsogon

I told you on my previous post that I will be saying more about this activity on my next post. Here it is!
Image Source: sidestrip.blogspot.com


These gentle giants that grow up to 15 meters in length, they feed on krill and planktons. Amazing how they grow that big with that diet! Donsol, Sorsogon has the highest concentration of whale sharks/butandings in the whole world. (Times like this make me even prouder of my country!)

Image Source: thephilippineoutdoorrampage.blogspot.com
This picture is quite alarming, if ever this guy really touched the whale shark! Or even if he did not, he was so close to the poor creature. Argh!! I don't know why people do stupid things just for the camera. Not cool, definitely not cool. He wasn't even wearing proper gears. I hope this picture was just photoshopped!

The purpose of this blog, aside from it's a subject requirement, is to inform the readers. Inform them what to do when traveling to the places I've been mentioning over and over to raise awareness. Awareness from the most basic of things (we started with geographical location) up to (wait for my next entries hehe) If only people like him took the time to listen to the guide's instructions (because there definitely is a guide) or read blogs like this, I bet he wouldn't do such stupid thing.

Anyway, here are some safety precautions you need to remember if you plan to visit these beautiful creatures (mostly I got from my T122 class):
1. Maintain a safe distance of at least 3 to 4 meters away from them.
2. Never ever feed them! Like the warning signs you usually encounter in a zoo that says "Do not feed the animals," what more this large creature? They feed on krill and plankton, not crackers or whatever fish you have.
3. Do not use cameras with flash, I think that's common sense.
4. Do not touch them. You see the spots on their skin? They are covered in protective slime and touching them would remove it.
5. For the love of God, DO NOT RIDE THEM!!! People who ride them should be imprisoned for stupidity forever. Evidence of some stupid guy riding a whale shark? Watch it HERE

Anyway, enough of my anger. Haha. Just keep them in mind and all will be well between us! :)

3. Firefly Watching in Donsol, Sorsogon

After playing with the gentle giants, relax yourself as the tour guides take you around the Donsol River on to the mangroves where thousands of fireflies marvel.

Image Source: calvinshub.com
I think this would be one of the sweetest dates ever. How many times in your lifetime will you see a bunch of trees filled with these pretty fireflies, together with only the light from the stars and the moon?

The rate? P1,250 for a group of 5. Yup, that's kinda cheap. The tour lasts up to 2 hours, but still depending on the pace of your group. You can leave as early as you want if you have to catch dinner somewhere else. :)

This activity is so beautiful, so so beautiful.

4. Attend Masbate's National Rodeo Festival

Being said that it's the Ranch Capital of the Philippines, what could be more exciting than attending the province's very unique festival? I'm sure for the thrill-seekers, there'll be no boring moment on this one! Imagine the blood gushing out from cows and whatnots (okay, that's kinda gross) ah, other people's idea of fun! Yep, not for animal lovers like me. I couldn't take that! :(

Image Source: sports.inquirer.net
The festival include 9 events: bull whipping, load carrying relay, cattle wrestling on foot, castle wrestling from horseback, cattle lassoing from horseback, two-person carambola, four-person carambola, carambola, and bull riding. (Source: interaksyon.com)

Image Source: choosephilippines.com
Who told you girls can't do it too? Strong is the new sexy!

5. Feast on the Culinary Cuisines Albay, Sorsogon and Masbate have to offer

We, Filipinos, won't enjoy anything without food. I mean how many times do we eat everyday? Five? Five slices of pizza in one sitting? Lol :))

But seriously, we are known to be food-lovers! We need to munch on something during merienda and midnight. Or are we just bored so we check the fridge all the time? (Guilty as charged!) All in all: We. Can't. Stop. What Diet.

Bicol Express
Image Source: dailybalita.com
What Bicol is very known for: Bicol Express! (Duh!) For the true Oragons who take pride on their bravery, the sting of these chilis are nothing to them. In fact, they have it on almost all their food. I've never been a fan of chilis, never, so I haven't tasted this yummy dish yet. And I have no plans of tasting them hehe or not.. :) But if you're looking for that food na "May sipa!" try this!

Pili Nuts
Image Source: flickr.com
I remember waiting for my Bicolano/a relatives to bring out the Pili nuts from their baggage everytime they come to visit us in Bulacan. They're super yummy, I swear! There was one time when I was in grade school, I was wandering in the bodega beside our house. I looked through the boxes and huzzah! I found 2 packs of Pili Nuts. I didn't care if it was expired already, I was so happy that I ate them right away. #NoRegrets #YOLO #PG

Corned Beef
Image Source: wheninmanila.com
Just a few weeks ago, UP LAWOD (provincial org of Masbatenos) had their anniversary. And as a tradition of almost every org, they had their Grand Pakain. Omnomnom! The meat produced from Masbate are world class, and they really were. They also had yummy tapa. Each and everyone of us had a tikim of everything =)))) Thank you, UP LAWOD!

Carmelado
Image Source: pinasmuna.com
UP LAWOD also gave us these sweet carmelados. They're like the normal pastillas, with a little touch of caramel. Try and compare! Nomnom~



And that's about it. I wish this post will help you in some way. =)))
If not, oh c'mon. I know it did, or it will.
Thoughts? Hit the comment button! :)










2 comments:

  1. I would definitely try the things you suggested! I think though that the tour guides in Donsol could have warned or controlled the guy to not touch the whale sharks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not? I haven't been in most of the places here and I think I could enjoy landing my feet there after reading this.

    ReplyDelete